About Me

My photo
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Admire John McPhee, Bill Bryson, David Remnick, Thomas Merton, Richard Rohr and James Martin (and most open and curious minds)

14.12.04

TMQ & Modern Times

Amtrak used your tax money to hire a person to pretend to be a computer. Tuesday Morning Quarterback suggests having fun with Julie by calling the Amtrak number, 800-USA-RAIL, and trying to confuse her. I did, and part of the conversation sounded like this:
JULIE. How many people will be traveling?
ME. It's a big country. How should I know how many people will be traveling?
JULIE. That sounded like you said, 'One adult.'
ME. I was being evasive. But I refuse to tell you why I was being evasive.
JULIE. My mistake. How many people will be traveling, and please be sure to say if there will be children or senior citizens.
ME. Of course there will be children. Children are our hope for the future.
JULIE. That sounded like you said, 'Eight children.'
ME. Do you have children, Julie? I'm starting to worry that machines will have children.
JULIE. You need to say what kind of adults will be traveling.
ME. The dashing, irresistible kind. It's me, after all. I'm sort of a 1940s-movie handsome-stranger-on-a-train kind of guy.
JULIE. I'm having trouble understanding you."

No comments: